Console gamers.

Retro Consoles and other related hardware.
monaro327

Console gamers.

Postby monaro327 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:05 am

Any Console gamers here?

While I love retro computing specially the 90's stuff, I do currently have a SNES which is my girlfriends system from new, recently acquired a N64. I never had a SNES I had a Sega MD2, enjoying seeing the SNES offerings which it seems the SNES was the superior system so really have no intension to buy a sega as I wasn't a sonic fan for whatever reason. Only SEGA exclusive title I really miss is XMEN 2 Clone Wars.

Really enjoying re living the N64 days, oddly I never had an N64. I was a PlayStation man in the day but more fondly remember the N64 games playing them at friends places.

Consoles are generally just easier and quicker to set for a quick gaming session and are more social with people around who I find more easily relate to having old consoles than old PCs.

Currently looking at expanding my collection to include a NES as I really regret selling mine about 15 years ago.

PsychoticOrc

Re: Console gamers.

Postby PsychoticOrc » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:40 pm

I currently use my xbox one sparingly ie whenever the wife or kids allow it :p however that recent and not retro so I digress..

I have some very fond memories of the Master System, I spent hours and hours playing Sonic and Alex the Kid over and over again. I never did end up completing Sonic though always died around act two of scrap brain zone :(

After that I had a Mega Drive II which I spent alot of time playing FIFA 95/96 with friends back in the day and lots of weekends and school holidays playing Sonic 2 with my sister.

After that I moved onto the Playstation and Playstation 2 which came with me (begrudgingly for the missus) when I emigrated over from England.

I have an ouya I play some of the older Mega Drive/Master System games on however I am thinking I might grab a raspberry pi2 and throw retropie on it and see how that goes :)

monaro327

Postby monaro327 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:56 pm

I have a RPI and an SDcard I even installed retropie on but have never used it. My issue is from what I read N64 games don't run very well on the RPI hardware. It's just not powerful enough, hell the N64 its self struggles with some of its heavier titles. Golden EYE/Perfect dark etc. So I ended up going with a console.

monaro327

Postby monaro327 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:58 pm

My newest console is a PS3 which is pretty much a glorified blue ray player these days.

PsychoticOrc

Postby PsychoticOrc » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:14 pm

Unfortunately most system struggle to emulate GoldenEye which is very disappointing. I have a PS3 which pretty much is being used as a space taker upper IE it has not been used in well over a year.

What about the old portables? I started off with a Game Gear and after that moved onto the original Gameboy purely for pokemon and never really looked back.

monaro327

Postby monaro327 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:00 pm

Had a Gameboy colour and sill have a gen 1 DS. Portables never really grabbed me. Though i do enjoy theme park on the DS.

monaro327

Postby monaro327 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:20 am

Purchased an S-video pal modified cable for my N64, hopefully will cheap the image quality up a bit. Just now to find a good S-video to hdmi converter.

Return to “Console Discussion”