Freight forwarding - post your experiences!

General Chat about anything unrelated to retro computing and other categories.
Washerman

Freight forwarding - post your experiences!

Postby Washerman » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:17 pm

It's no secret that for retro goods, overseas markets are the best hunting grounds. Thought it would be useful to share a few experiences of freight forwarders, as it can be handy to have a resource related to this sort of thing. Until eBay's Global Shipping Programme offers sensibly priced freight consolidation, then it is always cheaper to send multiple items to the freight forwarder.

In the past two years, I've only used two forwarders from the US - Australia Post's ShopMate, and PayPal's HopShopGo. I'm signed up for a 3rd service, AlfaSent, for parcels from the UK, but yet to pay for the deliveries to come over.

In short, ShopMate has been OK, they discount slightly for multiple items, and offer 15% off from time to time, but there have been some poor handling events (sliced 5.25" disks, smashed up Powerleap PL3) and very very long handling times - I've opened half a dozen cases with AusPost to track items which had already arrived in their US warehouse! and things are only processed a month after arriving.

HopShopGo has been much better - faster turnaround, no broken items so far, and comparable cost, though no bundling discount. Fast post via DHL too.

Anyone else have experiences or services to discuss? :D

avalanche

Re: Freight forwarding - post your experiences!

Postby avalanche » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:44 am

Long handling times can be a container halted in customs. That can add 10 days.

I'm finding it less worthwhile to shop overseas. Nice parts are in demand & too few.
So that auction you hope to win is bid too high. Pro sellers have stupid high " buy it now"

But yes your freight forwarder sound as cheap service.
Watch out buying from UK, can get nailed with a 10% fuel tax on exit of paying.

LoL AlfaSent. Go do a quote on that website. 1.5kg 40x30x10cm = 39pound OR $73.10AU " lowest price "

Washerman

Postby Washerman » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:50 pm

Lol yeah pound to AUD is a killer! AlfaSent was the only one I could find with half-decent reviews.

For ShopMate, I mean that the 30 day delay was for items posted *within* the US e.g. from NY to ShopMate's Oregon warehouse - where USPS says it's delivered, and ShopMate were just d*cking around and it wasn't being processed - and this wasn't even Christmas time! Once an item was on my arrived list, it was then an OK timeframe coming over from the US.

avalanche

Postby avalanche » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:15 pm

Honestly you'll just get nailed with express shipping from these forwarders. UPS DHL etc, it's painful.
USPS had a good rate 20 pound box at one stage, about $80 then. That packaging is still here.
Though sure that service was canned.

5-10kg of parts you'll save a bit of $$. That bulk thing, but cubic measure comes into play then.
So seller pack tiny graphic's in a shoe box is gonna cost ya!

Anyways over rattling on here or you can message me. Long day & I'm gonna chill :D

Return to “General Chat”