IBM XT 5160

Show off your complete systems or build log
Washerman
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:19 pm

IBM XT 5160

Postby Washerman » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:15 pm

_DSC0820.JPG
5160 Front
_DSC0820.JPG (2.8 MiB) Viewed 3769 times


Picked this machine up locally among a pretty large lot 15 machines and tons of parts back in November. It's a US model, ex-Uni of Michigan. Someone had unceremoniously written $1 in texta on the cover! Gave it a clean and took some pics, but unfortunately I don't have a transformer (yet) so I haven't fired her up.

_DSC0859.JPG
5160 Speaker and tag
_DSC0859.JPG (1.62 MiB) Viewed 3769 times


The speaker has a May 1984 tag on it, and there is a sticker under the motherboard with a 9 August (IIRC) 1984 build date. The motherboard is a 64-256kb version, with all banks populated, and it has an 8087 installed as well.

_DSC0852.JPG
5160 CPU and copro
_DSC0852.JPG (2.05 MiB) Viewed 3769 times


The good:
The lack of dust on the PSU fan (and the PSU date code of T8340 - maybe week 40, 1983?) suggests that it's had virtually no use. The system came with 5 expansion cards (CGA, floppy, hard disk, parallel, serial) so the basic IO is covered, and there are slots left over.

The bad:
There's a slightly disturbing bowing to the motherboard on one side, hopefully that doesn't affect the chances of it booting up. The case is clean, but has a knock to the back corner near the power switch, and the backplane is slightly bent too, so it's not quite a perfect fit. Will need a bit of panel beating to get it right.

I've got a 5153 CGA Monitor (it has CGA onboard), a clone XT keyboard (Model F is on its way), and some additional ISA cards to add some 80s multimedia. VGA might be out of character for this build, but I'll test out a couple of cards in any case.

The goals for this project are:
  1. Buy step-down transformer, and power up! (and then sort out any issues, such as dried out caps, etc.)
  2. Fix up dented case
  3. Add 8-bit multimedia
  4. Test VGA cards out

User avatar
mwd
Site Admin
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:33 pm

Re: IBM XT 5160

Postby mwd » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:32 pm

Oh yeah, nice machine. Good photos too. 87 FPU too!

Doubt the bowing will cause any issues, although I might be wrong. I have a Q6600 mobo that is seriously bent from the CPU fan and it works fine.

Washerman
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:19 pm

Re: IBM XT 5160

Postby Washerman » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:56 pm

Thanks! It's a great system, and the insides were a surprise, so hopefully the hard disk is OK too, despite the physical damage to the case. Will aim to post updates when they happen.

User avatar
AtariPC.net
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:36 pm

Re: IBM XT 5160

Postby AtariPC.net » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:06 pm

Washerman wrote:The goals for this project are:
  1. Buy step-down transformer, and power up! (and then sort out any issues, such as dried out caps, etc.)
  2. Fix up dented case
  3. Add 8-bit multimedia
  4. Test VGA cards out


Very lovely looking machine. I have a soft spot for 8088's being the very first processor I had experience with.

In regards to point 4, check out the link below if you haven't already for some pointers on which chipsets/cards to look for.

http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/5150/vga/5150_vga.htm
AtariPC.net
Atari PC | IBM Compatible Series
http://www.ataripc.net/

dacow
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:06 pm

Re: IBM XT 5160

Postby dacow » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:45 pm

Looks awesome, can't wait to see (hopefully) a video of it powering up! Nice bokeh on those pics too! Take some more! :)

Washerman
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:19 pm

Re: IBM XT 5160

Postby Washerman » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:40 am

Hehe bokeh, haven't heard that word in ages! :D as the 'togs say, feedback is appreciated!

Here's some more pics from the "photoshoot". Pics have been resized down to 1/3 original size, but they're still a bit massive. Looking at the bowing on the motherboard again - probably not as big a deal as I thought!

_DSC0834.JPG
5160 damage to rear/UMichigan
_DSC0834.JPG (894.44 KiB) Viewed 3737 times


_DSC0850.JPG
5160 interior
_DSC0850.JPG (1.08 MiB) Viewed 3737 times


_DSC0866.JPG
5160 RAM banks
_DSC0866.JPG (833.54 KiB) Viewed 3737 times


_DSC0847.JPG
5160 rear shot
_DSC0847.JPG (892.34 KiB) Viewed 3737 times


_DSC0860.JPG
5160 bowing on motherboard
_DSC0860.JPG (900.33 KiB) Viewed 3737 times


_DSC0889.JPG
5160 Power supply
_DSC0889.JPG (352.67 KiB) Viewed 3737 times


_DSC0662.JPG
5160 DOS & documentation
_DSC0662.JPG (814.03 KiB) Viewed 3737 times

Washerman
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:19 pm

Re: IBM XT 5160

Postby Washerman » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:10 pm

AtariPC.net wrote:
Washerman wrote:The goals for this project are:
  1. Buy step-down transformer, and power up! (and then sort out any issues, such as dried out caps, etc.)
  2. Fix up dented case
  3. Add 8-bit multimedia
  4. Test VGA cards out


Very lovely looking machine. I have a soft spot for 8088's being the very first processor I had experience with.

In regards to point 4, check out the link below if you haven't already for some pointers on which chipsets/cards to look for.

http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/5150/vga/5150_vga.htm


Thanks! :) I see that the PC3 was your first machine, your website is awesome, BTW :D

Have been over to -0 deg, just realised that he has two lists of VGA cards - the 5160 list is a bit shorter, and gives some configuration info: http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/5160/vga/5160_vga.htm

Looking at my inventory it seems I only have one 8-bit VGA card, but plenty of 16-bit ISA cards (ET4000AX, Trident 8900C/D//9000B/C, Paradise, WDC, Ahead V5000). Going to be a bit of an effort tracking down settings to get those into 8-bit mode!

User avatar
AtariPC.net
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:36 pm

Re: IBM XT 5160

Postby AtariPC.net » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:52 am

Washerman wrote:Thanks! :) I see that the PC3 was your first machine, your website is awesome, BTW :D


Thanks! Yes the Atari PC3 is very much a passion of mine, so many fantastic memories. I haven't updated the my collection on my website but I know have 5 however only 3 are in working condition as two have faulty motherboards. I think it's safe to say I have Australia's largest collection of PC3's! :D

Washerman wrote:Have been over to -0 deg, just realised that he has two lists of VGA cards - the 5160 list is a bit shorter, and gives some configuration info: http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/5160/vga/5160_vga.htm

Looking at my inventory it seems I only have one 8-bit VGA card, but plenty of 16-bit ISA cards (ET4000AX, Trident 8900C/D//9000B/C, Paradise, WDC, Ahead V5000). Going to be a bit of an effort tracking down settings to get those into 8-bit mode!


I have found that in some cases that even if a 16 bit VGA card has jumper settings to configure 16-bit or 8-bit BIOS support that there's no guarantee. I have a Diamond Speedstar 24X (WDC WD9OC31-LR) which has a jumper clearly marked to configure the BIOS but it won't POST in my PC3 when configured. Works perfectly fine however when installed in my PC5 (386) in a 16-bit slot. From what I've read, 8-bit support can sometimes actually mean 8-bit AT (286 or above) not 8-bit XT, so it can be hit and miss.

If you ever need jumper settings for a particular motherboard or video card, look no further: http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/index.html Fantastic website.
AtariPC.net
Atari PC | IBM Compatible Series
http://www.ataripc.net/

Holiman
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:52 pm

Re: IBM XT 5160

Postby Holiman » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:02 pm

That is very nice Washerman, congrats on the great build.

BerythaBeasley
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri May 11, 2018 5:37 pm

Re: IBM XT 5160

Postby BerythaBeasley » Fri May 11, 2018 5:40 pm

Comparing processors, AMD Athlon II vs Intel i3.? So I'm no good comparing processors, could anyone compare these two for me?
AMD Athlon II Dual-Core Processor P349 Intel Core i3-370m Processor I'm planning to buy a laptop and the two that jump out at me have mostly similar specs (different in hard drive size) and the processor changes. Which is better? Which is faster?


Return to “Retro Builds”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest