Retro pricing

General Chat about anything unrelated to retro computing and other categories.
avalanche

Retro pricing

Postby avalanche » Sat May 14, 2016 11:07 am

Some of you guys know me & know how hard I've worked on securing these great parts all over the world.
Said it for years & years, jump on the Super Seven parts as prices will go through the roof :cry:

Mention on OCAU " just how hard it is " too put together a nice retro beast, has mostly been skipped over.
Until lately I was a champion on winning auctions, bidding in the last seconds.

NOT NOW! :shock: Over x6 months, stay up till early 3 to 5am, to do battle on these actions.
I am getting flogged .........sometimes x6 or x8 last second bids rain in. Not used to being hammered like this, has me over it. :x
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I propose to help you guys. Get or build your dream systems.
I have enough here in my stash " double up " to let go now.
Or I can offer to find those rare parts. :) Not them Voodoo 5's too bloody expensive

Years of sales being pulled in OCAU :roll: Enough of that too.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'll put up sales of beautiful parts soon. Boards that I have recapped myself " with utmost care & precision "
Using the best quality capacitors " overkill spec'd " that I can lay my hands on.

Will they be dirt cheap so you can have a bargin? No. You'll not find these parts & a kind chap like me doing the x4 hour labour

eg My examples next

dfi lanparty hitting $100US soon mostly

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=&_ ... sacat=1244

epox 7kxa :? Can't find them. Me either. Last ones in Europe quickly sold 89euro a pop.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=ep ... sacat=1244

Gigabyte 5ax. See the pic.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/S1B16-Gigabyte- ... Swxp9W6aa~

200US 5ax.jpg
200US 5ax.jpg (222.76 KiB) Viewed 5828 times

It's a lot right ;) Convert to AU dollar & throw in Paypal conversion 0.70 = $333 AU

Krumm

Re: Retro pricing

Postby Krumm » Sat May 14, 2016 9:14 pm

Thanks in advance for those who are going to benefit from your tireless efforts.

avalanche

Postby avalanche » Sat May 14, 2016 10:07 pm

Thankyou my man :D

I am seriously perplexed by that ebay price.
Many like that too..........so you sift through all those shit parts & hopefully find the one you want.

It's a minefield.

I've hunted like a wolverine like 10 years now. Can I let them go in OCAU :lol: tried :D tried again :lol:
Anyway my stealthy shopping will benefit true retro hoarder.

Unleashing my spares soon & they're bloody awesome ;)

Washerman

Postby Washerman » Mon May 16, 2016 8:08 am

Definitely takes the patience of a saint to find some good bargains! And keen eyes too, some of the best stuff can be picked up on by the pics.

I reckon group buys from certain retro sellers could also be the go, combine postage should make it cheaper overall. Though I need to control my addiction lol

avalanche

Postby avalanche » Mon May 16, 2016 9:38 am

Offered many a time to combine with other members in that " other forum " " insert tired & over it here "
So the few that wanted help, just got all the parts they needed/wanted

But once they got a taste of that DHL express freight.........that was it, gone :P
It hurts big time :shock: & quite a shock if you're not used to it.

Cant do it no more ...stay up late to win auctions.
Used to be in the shed till 5am & -5deg temps too sometimes " so not to wake the houehold up "
Absolutely painful typing on the hands.

Now at least I have some comfort in the man shack.

What does this all mean :?: I'm done with it. Done the hard yards all to save parts for AU collectors.
You all were to get plenty of it. "thank ma stoppng all them sales" :P

So when I sell off my double up's. That's it < there are no more >

shirl

Postby shirl » Tue May 17, 2016 12:00 pm

its funny i have been collecting for years i have accumulated alot of stuff,actually i have no idea what i have here now but i do know i have collected alot of hi end mobo,s,939,skA,its funny alot of it was free ppl said pick it up and its yours,so i did,im quite surprised the prices only 1 person here know some of what i got laying around "avalanche" has seen a few photos

avalanche

Postby avalanche » Tue May 17, 2016 3:38 pm

What is old becomes new again my friend. Like a bower bird build that nice display ;)

Krumm

Postby Krumm » Tue May 17, 2016 8:40 pm

Have you seen much 8088 / 8086 gear in your travels avalanche? Member of the Aussie Arcade forums is looking to relieve some nostalgia with classic hardware but I don't know how much of that early gear is out there.

avalanche

Postby avalanche » Tue May 17, 2016 8:58 pm

Bit old for me........Do see like 286 & 386 combo's go dirt cheap.

Washerman mJord Flaming Joe much better on older stuff

Washerman

Postby Washerman » Tue May 17, 2016 11:56 pm

Krumm wrote:Have you seen much 8088 / 8086 gear in your travels avalanche? Member of the Aussie Arcade forums is looking to relieve some nostalgia with classic hardware but I don't know how much of that early gear is out there.

There is a bit of early gear about, but it does tend to get expensive. For example, recently IBM 5150s have been going for $300 each, usually just main unit and sometimes with a keyboard - considering these were a big seller back in the day, it says a lot about e-wastage that they are so rare now. I was lucky to score a couple of XT class machines cheaply but that's required a fair bit of luck and dedication to watching auctions. If your friend has a budget in mind and a specific machine or CPU type then it should be easy enough to pass on any leads to you when they come up.

Krumm

Postby Krumm » Wed May 18, 2016 8:56 pm

Thanks washerman, I shall pass that on.

Washerman

Postby Washerman » Wed May 18, 2016 9:19 pm

Lovely condition working 5150 with CGA monitor just went for $256 on eBay - pickup only in Sydney made it less accessible I guess.

Krumm

Postby Krumm » Sat May 21, 2016 8:57 pm

Looks like he has secured a nice XT clone to get him started but thanks for looking Washerman.

DemetriusB

Postby DemetriusB » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:02 pm

Have the prices gone up or down compared to a couple of years ago btw?

Washerman

Postby Washerman » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:08 pm

Hey Demetrius, retro prices are generally up from a couple of years ago.

Every year the chances of finding what you want at e-waste or roadside cleanup diminishes, and with that in mind people can sell their old gear on eBay for a lot more. Some folk have even made a business out of selling retro gear.

What retro computer gear are you into?

Return to “General Chat”